Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Home is Where the Hawk Is



I flew back to Kansas City for Thanksgiving. Spending it with my brother, his wife, their two kids and my favorite uncle. Lisa's family will be coming in for Thanksgiving as well so we're going to have 14 people I think. Busy household that luckily is full of love.

While running errands today I travelled on some old familiar paths. The thing I loved about growing up here is that even though we were technically in the city, we were on the outskirts. There is so much open land around here filled with grass and trees. On my drive I counted 10 different giant hawks sitting on trees or posts, enjoying the sun and surveying their domain. It always brings a smile to my face. I miss that. Sure, there are some in California, just none where I usually am. I miss being able to see a minimum of 5 hawks on any drive I take. I miss being able to appreciate their beauty and long for their freedom. As a child I wanted to come back as a hawk or an eagle. I think I still do. Despite any family dynamics (which have been mostly good), it makes me happy to be here. Trips down memory lane can be wonderful.

This random moment was brought to you by the letter H and the number 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home