Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The World is Quieter Now



I just received an email from some dear family friends in England.

A little background - D&W were both fabulous equestrians and actually met at the Olympics - he was riding for the US and she for Great Britain. They had 3 children who are all in their 30s and 40s, with kids, etc. They are a fabulous family and all really talented. W passed away years ago and he has been missed. Their youngest son, B, was in his 30s. A year ago he was riding his motorcycle and was hit head on by a 19 year old who came out of a roundabout too quickly and didn't even see B as he hit him head on and killed him. One should never have to lose their child.

Their daughter, V, has been married to a wonderful man, JW, and they have three gorgeous children. The kids must now be in their teens. According to the email I just received from D, in August JW hung himself. Apparently he had clinical depression for two years and they were not able to successfully treat it.

This was a man who was so full of life. He and I would pal around anytime I was over. He would take me to the pubs and get me drunk. I used to tease him that one day I would marry one of his sons and be his daughter-in-law. He had a wicked sense of humor and brought joy to so many people. My heart goes out to his wife, his children and the entire family. They have endured so much in the past year.

I'm a bit surprised at how distraught this has left me. I hadn't seen/talked to him for I guess about 2 years...since my last trip over there. It's just so sudden and shocking. Nothing quite like bawling like a baby at your client site.

The world is more quiet now. The sun shines a bit less brightly.

JW, you will be missed.

This moment of sadness was brought to you by the letter H and the number 1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home