Wednesday, February 01, 2006

When Do You Give Up?

Last night I had the pleasure of attending a theater performance in SF. Monkey O had a play he had written selected as the winner for the month of April. They were doing a "year in review" type thing so there were 12 ten-minute plays. The actors were reading off scripts, but had rehearsed. It was a really entertaining evening. I was impressed by the writing and thought the actors did a good job.

At intermission I finally met the man, the myth, the legend...Monkey O. My first meeting from blogland. Actually, he got two for the price of one since he also met Scrummy. Lucky bastard.

We were chatting about acting I think and the conversation went something like this:

MO: Yeah, I acted in college.
BH: Ah, I did that in grade school and high school, but never past that.
MO: So you learned faster than the rest of us.
BH: Or was just lazier.
MO: No, people should stop doing things they are bad at.
BH: Well hell, then I should stop dating men.


Upon later reflection, it made me wonder - When do you throw in the towel and give up something at which you are bad?

Sadly, I've come to the conclusion if I were to follow that advice, I'd be left with only the following things in my life:

Eating
Drinking
Being a smart-ass
Masturbation

On second thought, maybe Monkey is onto something here!

This was brought to you by the letter P and the number 3.

5 Comments:

At February 01, 2006 9:11 PM, Blogger MB said...

Boulder, I was inspired by all the other wanks with pictures so I am only posting to see if my new picture comes up.

BTW, you o.k.? You sure are referencing "hitting redial on the pink phone" a lot lately.

 
At February 02, 2006 6:24 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

Dating sucks, it's an endless trial of good & bad, Right & oh so wrong, to call or not to call....but it's still worthwhile because he IS out there. Have a little faith and if that doesn't work..have a little burbon.

 
At February 02, 2006 7:03 AM, Blogger Buzz said...

-Or a lot of burbon, like two bottles of "Knob Creek" consumed slowly over ice with movies like Cold Mountain, Crash, Wedding Crashers, and Family Guy season 3 playing on your DVD.

Then go to Denny's and order double lumberjack breakfasts and sober up only to the point where you linger in a consciousness that allows you to sit, numb to all external stimuli.

That's when the real soul searching begins... Write down what you have in your head, legibly, then go home and go to bed. Awake fresh, albeit hungover, and attack the week renewed. Damn all the classes, dates, commitments, and appearances and become friends with yourself again. Portray the self confidence in knowing who you are, brush away the sarcastic digs you undoubtedly say about yourself in conversations and knock the dust off of those tail feathers and show the rest of the world what few of us know! That BH is bangin' !!

I think your match lives in NZ... Here is a sample

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=907719

Chin up, shoulders back, knob creek, and two lumberjacks.

-Buzz

 
At February 02, 2006 8:50 AM, Blogger MB said...

Mmmmmmm Knob Creek.

Good Stuff.

Buzz my friend, you are poet and a gentleman. I must mount my iron horse and head down to your neck of the woods sometime soon so we can revel in the joys of being men.

Or maybe just go out and tie one on.

 
At February 02, 2006 11:07 AM, Blogger monkey 0 said...

1. knob creek. I didn't drink at all until knob creek. seriously. all the booze I had ever had was vile rotgut, so I never drank, for years and years, but then, when I was moving my girlfriend's stuff out of her old apt, she had an almost-finished bottle of knob creek, and I took a sip. it's been (up/down?)hill from there ever since.

2. glad you had a good time at sheherezade.

3. your dialogue recollection skills are formidable. I believe, after that exchange, that I said something to the effect that my blanket claim that people should stop doing things they are bad at is not universally applicable. it works for things such as the expressive arts (in public, at least). e.g., people who are atrocious actors (me) should avoid acting around other humans. however,

4. there are certain areas of human endeavor, not the least among them love and it's attendant pursuits, that are built from failure. humans in general are clumsy, difficult creatures in these areas; if we all gave up just because we were constantly smashing into brick walls, well... let's just say I don't think it's possible, to say nothing of desirable.

so, onward! to disaster!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home