Wednesday, March 29, 2006

An Interesting Quote

I heard an interesting quote this last weekend. Something along the lines of:

"If you ask an honest question, you have to be ready to accept any answer."

This really struck a chord with me. So often we say that we want to know the truth, want people to be honest with us, want to know what is really going on. This can be in any type of relationship - lover, friend, coworker, etc. However, when the truth is given to us we may not like it. People get upset over the answer. They become hurt and/or angry with the other person.

I guess what I really like about this quote is it reminds us that we asked for the truth and have to accept the truth that was given even if it wasn't what we wanted to hear. We may not like it, but you can't be angry at the other person for giving what you asked for. It also makes you think before asking a question - do you really want to know the answer? Are you truly willing to accept whatever comes back in response?

It's a hard lesson to practice, but one I fully intend to work on. Just thought I'd throw it out into cyberspace to see if it struck a chord for anyone else.

This quote was brought to you by the letter Q and the number 1.

5 Comments:

At March 29, 2006 12:17 PM, Blogger Murray said...

True that, girl. One of my favorites, from Will Rogers: Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement. So go out there, mess things up, and be honest with people. Tomorrow, Ireland!!!

 
At March 29, 2006 4:37 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

"I want the truth!"

"You can't handle the truth."
Oh, land of cinema, how true you are...

 
At March 29, 2006 5:29 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

Melon beat me to it....

I've asked sooooo many questions I didn't want the answers too...the answers always destroyed me but my mouth and brain did communicate a safer plan of action. In the end ...knowing the truth is best I think, in MOST situations..

Still, it sucks to be temporarily destroyed.

 
At March 29, 2006 7:50 PM, Blogger Fame said...

I am honest to a fault. At times it surprises people. I always say I don't have time for bullshit. But I can take the truth as well. This is learned. You must be ready, willing and able to face the truth and give it. Great post!

***I made you my whore (see my blog for details) hope you don't mind***

 
At March 30, 2006 6:18 PM, Blogger Professor Fate said...

My (ex)wife and I had this understanding during our 12 years of marriage. We had a slightly different twist on it, "Don't ask a question that you don't want the answer to." That is why to this day I am not 100% sure she had an affair, because I never asked. I would rather be ignorant of the truth than know for sure one way or the other. [The "affair" was not the reason or the excuse. She abandoned the marriage (me) emotionally and physically. That is a much better reason.]

I love this quote (because it states my belief in "truth" better than the one I have been using). I plan to steal it and post it tomorrow. Maybe you'll get some traffic from my six loyal readers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home