Tuesday, March 21, 2006

AFOS

After my little public transportation incident Friday night, the rest of my weekend was pretty good. Saturday I did some unpacking around the house. That night I went to a Pirate Rum and Wine Tasting party over in Oakland. It was a pretty good time. Met some cool people, learned about a single-malt bar in Los Gatos and I got to dress up and walk around w/ my flogger. What more could a girl ask for?

Sunday was absolutely GORGEOUS! Blue sky, bright sun and warm (relativel) temperatures. After far too little sleep I remembered I was supposed to spin fire that night w/ white gas. Problem - I don't have any white gas. And it's Sunday which means most hardware stores aren't open. Went over to Laurel Heights to deposit some checks and see if that hardware store carried white gas. The store wasn't open just yet so I walked down to the evil monopoly Starbucks and had a coffee. Laurel Heights is a really cute part of town. The population is mainly young parents with kids or DINKYs (double-income, no kids yet). The kids were absolutely adorable and I had a big smile on my face. At the same time, it's been some length of time since I have felt that alone. I'm not sure how you can be happy and sad at the same time, but I figured it out.

Anyway, that store didn't carry white gas so I tried another one. Once they finally opened they did have it so life was good. Played volleyball in Golden Gate Park that afternoon. It sucked. Well, the volleyball didn't suck. I sucked. Badly. Really really badly. Just painfully. You know when you haven't played in a while and when you come back you have a great day that reminds you that you really do know how to play? Sunday was not one of those days. I finally called it quits and headed home for a quick shower. Then I was off to my instructor's house to spin fire. That was a lot of fun.

After fire dancing I met up with Scrummy at Q for some grub. It was the final night for both of us before getting back on track w/ our healthy eating plan so we had macaroni and cheese w/ tator tots. Awwww yeah. Going all out! After we headed over to the Rock-It Room (formerly Last Day Saloon) for a concert.

I ended up getting free tickets from Live 105 to this show. Can you guess who it was? Fishy and Spotty - you will love this. Direct from the 80s...we went and saw...none other than.....here's a couple hints:







That's right ladies and gents (and hashers) - A Flock of Seagulls!!! How's that for a blast from the past?!?!?! At the same time I was laughing, I was kind of excited to hear their 3 hits live - I Ran, Wishing (If I had a photograph of you) and Space Age Love Song. Plus I was morbidly curious if they still had the hair. I'm still not sure if I was hoping they did or didn't.

Apparently they are not only touring, they also have new music out. Who new? Alas and alak, the hair is no more. Neither is the quality. Man, all I can say is at least the show was free. You know how you're totally stoked to hear some of your fave songs from your childhood live? Stick w/ the old tapes kids. They sound better. Scrummy and I were chatting after and talking about the hair. I mentioned how one of the band members had been a hair dresser and we were wondering which one it was. The conversation went like this:

BH: Hmmmm...maybe the bass player?
SM: Yeah, it had to have been the bass player. He was the cutest.
BH: True, but I spent all show trying to figure out if he really was cute.
SM: You mean if he really was cute or just the least ugly?
BH: *falling over laughing in the street* Yes, exactly.

In my search for photos for this blog (no, I don't have AFOS posters or photos) I learned that the AFOS I saw really only has one original band member - the lead singer. Now tell me, if a former band only has one original member, is it right to keep the name?

As I ponder, I leave you with some lyrics:

I Ran

I walked along the avenue.
I never thought I'd meet a girl like you;
Meet a girl like you.
With auburn hair and tawny eyes;
The kind of eyes that hypnotize me through;
Hypnotize me through.
And I ran, I ran so far away.
I just ran, I ran all night and day.
I couldn't get away.

A cloud appears above your head;
A beam of light comes shining down on you,
Shining down on you.
The cloud is moving nearer still.
Aurora borealis comes in view;
Aurora comes in view.


And I ran, I ran so far away.
I just ran, I ran all night and day.
I couldn't get away.

Reached out a hand to touch your face;
You're slowly disappearing from my view;
Disappearing from my view.
Reached out a hand to try again;
I'm floating in a beam of light with you;
A beam of light with you.

And I ran, I ran so far away.
I just ran, I ran all night and day.
I couldn't get away.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wishing (If I had a photograph of you)

It's not the way you look,
It's not the way that you smile.
Although there's something to them.
It's not the way you have your hair,
It's not that certain style;
It could be that with you.
If I had a photograph of you,
It's something to remind me.
I wouldn't spend my life just wishing.

It's not the make-up
And it's not the way that you dance,
It's not the evening sky.
It's more the way your eyes
are laughing as they glance
Across the great divide.

If I had a photograph of you,
It's something to remind me.
I wouldn't spend my life just wishing.

It's not the things you say
It's not the things you do
It must be something more
And if I feel this way for so long
Tell me is it all for nothing
Just don't walk out the door.

If I had a photograph of you,
It's something to remind me.
I wouldn't spend my life just wishing.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Space Age Love Song

I saw your eyes,
And you made me smile;
For a little while
I was falling in love.
I saw your eyes,
And you touched my mind.
Although it took a while,
I was falling in love.

I saw your eyes,
And you made me cry;
And for a little while
I was falling in love.

I was falling in love.

Falling in love.

Falling in love.

Falling in love.

Falling in love.


This blast from the past was brought to you by the letter H and the number 81.

3 Comments:

At March 21, 2006 4:00 PM, Blogger dayoldfish said...

One of the best quotes from quotes from The Wddding Singer
Ticket Guy, "Do you like A Flock of Seagulls?"
Sandler, "No, but I can tell you do."

 
At March 22, 2006 4:57 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

Love 80's music..but TG the fashion is gone:)

 
At March 22, 2006 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually sat through that awful VH1 show that got them back together - Bands reunited or some crap. That was pre-TiVo. I love you TiVo!

BTW I like the fact that somewhere on the internet I fall under the catagory of normal people. If it's on the internet it must be true!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home