Friday, November 11, 2005

Poi Oh Poi

I had my first poi spinning class last night at the Temple of Poi (of course!). It was absolutely amazing! After reviewing all the basics of poi and the different elements we would be exploring, it was time for us to start learning. We only worked on spinning with one hand. Of course you have to use the weaker hand because otherwise it would be far too easy and instill a false sense of accomplishment. That meant using the left as all 6 of us are right-handed. MB don't even try and pretend both your hands are strong because it requires two! Sorry, I digress.

We learned four different moves which were fairly complicated. Well, at least they are complicated for someone who has never spun poi before and who is using her weak hand to do so. Managed to avoid knocking myself out, though definitely hit myself with the poi several times. God bless beanbag poi! I noticed I do so much better when I'm not trying to overthink it. When I just let things flow I did pretty well. It's going to definitely require a lot of practice. I found the whole experience delightfully frustrating - sort of like flirting with someone you can't do anything with. It's fun, but frustrating.

It's definitely going to be a few months before I get to spin fire, but y'all better watch out when I do! I can't wait! It's nice to be so excited about learning something new again.

If you want to check it out you can find it here.

This was brought to you by the letter P and the number 1.

1 Comments:

At November 14, 2005 9:34 PM, Blogger BanhiDancer said...

Hey, I found this surfing poi stuff, I just wanted to express my jealousy, hehe. I *wish* I'd had someone to teach me poi, I had to teach myself from online forums and such. Well, just wanted to point out how lucky you are to have that resource near you, heh. Welcome to the addiction! :}

 

Post a Comment

<< Home