Thursday, November 10, 2005

Where The Streets Have No Name

The Bay Area is typically a great place for music. Always tons of shows, some fantastic venues, etc. This week has been especially true - Paul McCartney (ok, not a huge fan but he's big), U2 and then the Stones next week. Pretty cool stuff.

Tuesday my buddy (let's call him The Russian) instant messaged me and asked if I was working late Wed night. I said no and he mentioned he had an extra ticket to the U2 concert at the Colliseum. When I asked how much he said, "$180, but don't worry about it. Just buy me a few beers there." Who was I to turn down such an offer?

Now, those of you who know me, know how much I love this band. I have even been fortunate to hang out with them twice (the second time they remembered me from 5 years earlier). They have a special place in my heart. But that's another story for another time.

The Russian had never seen them live before. Our seats were pretty amazing even though we were off to the side of the stage. I've seen these guys probably 3 or 4 other times before last night. Last night's show was just incredible! Probably one of the best ones I have ever seen. Though it was still visually appealing, it wasn't over the top like some of the past tours have been. They played a fantastic mix of the new and the old. Bono even toned down his politics a bit so he wasn't acting like quite the Messiah he sometimes does. Being there with someone who had never seen them before and seeing the excitement and energy U2 was able to create in him was pretty spectacular.

Good music to me has always been music that speaks to you. Songs that move you. Lyrics you can relate to. You hear the song and you say, "yes, this person knows what I am talking about" or "I've been in the same situation." U2 has always been that for me. No matter what mood I'm in or what I'm going through, they have a song for it. It's great to be able to have that kind of experience live. As they started Sunday Bloody Sunday Bono said, "This is your song now America." Gave me goosebumps. When he dedicated "Miracle Drug" to the doctors, nurses and researchers searching for a cure for cancer or they played "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own" and dedicated it to his dad who died, yeah, it made me misty. You can't honestly tell me that "With or Without You" (along w/ some Depeche Mode songs like Blue Dress) isn't one of the most erotic songs out there. Who has found what they are looking for? This band has always had that effect on me and as long as they do, I will remain a fan.

Amazing show, amazing band. If you ever get the chance to see them it's worth shelling out the money. Only four hours of sleep made my 6:15am spin class painful and I'm not sure how I will survive my first poi class tonight, but it's well worth it!

Some photos from the show via my cell phone (which explains the garbage quality).












This musical rant was brought to you by the letter U and the number 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home