Friday, October 14, 2005

General Silliness

Last night I made it home around 9:30 or so. I started fixing some dinner and my home phone rang. After my flatmate and I placed our bets as to what telemarketer it would be, I answered. Turns out it was my buddy from Sports Basement aka my Shoe Guy. I had phoned him a few days before and left a message, just trying to catch up since it's been a while since we've seen each other. He was returning my call...sort of.

Turns out he needed some IT help. He was having trouble with his router due to good old SBC and couldn't get his email going either. He'd tried the help desk and of course got transferred to India where the chick totally screwed everything up. RS was leaving town the next day and wanted to get it fixed before then. He asked if he could hire me to come over and fix it. Now, I know I was a Computer Science major and I do IT Consulting. However, why people assume that means I work at a freaking help desk I will never understand. I have very limited knowledge about all this crap. That's why *I* call the help desk. Anyway, I told him that he couldn't hire me, but I'd be happy to go over and take a look at it.

RS lives 6 blocks from me. Yes, for those of you wondering, this is also the guy that inspired my posting about pot etiquette a while back. The part I left out of that story was what happened at the end of the evening. Perhaps a bit of background is necessary. RS and I met at Sports Basement probably a couple years ago now. We have a mutual friend RK. We were always a bit flirty-flirty, but he was dating someone. When the new store opened in the Presidio we saw a lot more of each other. I eventually learned he had broken up with his long term girlfriend about 6 months before. We had talked about going to Black and White Ball together so he had gotten my number. In typical guy fashion he never used it. No biggie. We'd still joke when I was in the store and give each other shit. So, the first time we actually hung out is when he called me and the pot incident occurred. So we hung out that night, watched a movie and had a bottle of wine. At the end of the evening as he was walking me out one of his neighbors stopped by to talk to him about Visa issues. RS also does Visa lawyer work type stuff. Yes, that's the technical term. So anyway, this guy needs to talk to him so I say I'll just take off. RS ends up shaking my hand.

Wtf? I thought it was hilarious. I don't think I have ever had anyone shake my hand at the end of anything that wasn't a business function. It still makes me laugh to think about it. I talked to our mutual friend about it who was laughing his ass off as well. So last night when RS called me I asked if he was going to shake my hand at the end of the evening again. I just couldn't resist slagging him about it. It turned into a much longer conversation about it than I had anticipated. At one point he said, "Well, I'm dating someone. What am I supposed to do?" That was an interesting bit of info I didn't know, but also separate from the point of my ribbing. I finally had to explain it to him this way. "You have female friends right?" "Yes." "Ok, so when you hang out with them, do you shake their hand at the end of the evening?" "Well...no." "Ok, when you have someone you have the potential to date, do you shake their hand at the end of the evening?" "Ok, I see where you're going with this. My bad." I think he thought he had offended me by it. I tried to explain it hadn't offended me, it just entertained me. Oh well, some of the jokes are just for me.

Anyway, I digress. So I went over to his place to fix his computer. It took a while and a few tequila shots, but we eventually got it working. While I was there the conversation was interesting and entertaining. Essentially it boiled down to the fact that he would like to date me, but (like me), is a serial monogomist and had started dating this other chick. I think they've been dating for about a month and a half or so. I just have to laugh because I'm like, ok, you tell me you want to date me, but you had my number for ages and didn't use it. You knew where I was. Where's the disconnect coming in? You're 35 years old. At what point do y'all get it? Men, can't figure 'em out.

Once I had fixed his computer he asked what shoe size I wear and pulled out this pair of Brooks Trail Runners for me to try on. I tried to convince him that he didn't need to give me anything, but he wouldn't take no for an answer. So I got home around 1am and now have a brand new pair of trail runners. Well, a new pair of trail runners and another guy who's taken telling me he's interested. At least one of the two is useful. :-)

Apologies, I know this entry isn't up to my usual standard of entertainment. However, just needed to get all my thoughts out into the world.

This moment of silliness was brought to you by the letter S and the number 35.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home