Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Wonderful Feeling


I'm not sure how many of you know, but one of my aunts is a nun. She is also a nurse and helped our family take care of each of my parents at home while they were sick. Aunt Carol is an amazing woman. She teaches, goes fly fishing, ties her own flies (was even on David Letterman as the "Fly fishing nun", etc. Because she is a nun she has also taken a vow of poverty. When mom passed away, she wanted to make sure Aunt Carol was taken care of. However, because of the vow of poverty we couldn't give her the money as she would have had to give it to the church. Instead, my brother and I took it and it is at her disposal as her "travel fund." Aunt Carol loves to travel both within the US and outside. She did an amazing trip to Wales where she took underpriveledged kids on a fly fishing trip over there.

A few weeks ago she called as she and Aunt Pedi (my honorary aunt. They have been in the convent together and friends since Carol was 16) wanted to go spend some time in Vegas. I think she also had a convention out there (not totally clear on all the details as she called my brother and he just told me they needed money from the travel fund). So I popped the check in the mail to pay for their trip with a little note that it was money from heaven.

I got a message from Aunt Carol tonight. She and Aunt Pedi were sitting at the Venetian enjoying a fabulous meal while enjoying the sounds of someone singing opera. After their meal they were going to head down and see The Phantom of the Opera. She was so excited! She sounded just like a little kid. They were having a fabulous time and wanted to call and say thank you. It was the cutest message.

It made me so happy to hear how delighted they were to get away and be able to play. I love the fact that I'm able to help contribute to that kind of excitement and joy and give a little back to two people who have given so much!! You know how some moments in life remind you of all that is important and good in the world? As silly as it sounds, this was one of those moments for me. Put a giant smile on my face.

This moment of joy was brought to you by the letter V and the number 2.

1 Comments:

At April 16, 2007 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that made me smile - big :D

--the nutz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home