Thursday, September 08, 2005

Hello Mr. Tyler. Going...down?

For years, one could always count on the way people behave in elevators. Everyone either stares at their shoes or they stare at the numbers above the doors. God forbid if we actually make eye contact or speak to the people with whom you are sharing a tiny metal box.

I've noticed recently this behavior has changed. Now, instead of staring at the numbers or the floor, people play with their crackberrys. Or should that be crackberries since it is plural? I dunno. Anyway, people will wait for an elevator patiently and not feel the need to look at them, but once they set foot in that little metal box and other people are around, suddenly there is a sense of urgency and they just have to know if they have received a new email. Very interesting social behavior. I would go to the effort of figuring out the psychology behind it, but then I realize there are people who spent 9 perfectly good years of their lives in school to obtain a Piled Higher and Deeper degree and it would just be selfish of me to steal their thunder.

This random observation was brought to you by the letters BH and the number 10.

4 Comments:

At September 08, 2005 4:35 PM, Blogger Daniel Heath said...

when I'm in elevators I try to handcuff other people together without them noticing.

 
At September 10, 2005 10:21 AM, Blogger Glib Gal said...

I spent 10 years on my piled high degree and don't even have a crackberry - where did it all go so wrong???

 
At September 10, 2005 6:00 PM, Blogger MB said...

I dont even know WTF a crackberry is. I'm so retarded.

 
At September 12, 2005 11:36 AM, Blogger BH said...

Yes, but you're honest about it MB.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home