Monday, February 13, 2006

Apartment Hunting

Apartment hunting sucks. It sucks even more in the crazy rental market known as San Francisco. You pay an arm and a leg for something that is no bigger than your college dorm room, but also has a kitchen and a bathroom squeezed into that space.

Spent most of this past weekend looking at various places. It really came down to 3.

Option 1: 2 bedroom in-law for $1400. The family who lives above is really cool with two really cute kids. Since it'd only be me I can just use their washer and dryer in the garage. Great backyard, great closet space. Easy street parking. All utilities for $60/month so total of $1460. Month-to-month lease. Only issue - only a shower stall, no tub.

Option 2: 2 bedroom for $1450 - includes water and garbage only. Parking spot in the garage. No backyard space. Decent closet space. Coin washer and dryer in garage. Only issue - electric stove, not gas. Year lease.

Option 3: Share a great flat in an old victorian house with 2 gay guys. Guys are sweethearts. Room is decent sized. Closet space is lacking. No parking in a tough neighborhood for street parking. Nothing in the apartment would be mine except the stuff in my room. $950/month plus around $150/month for utilities/made/etc. Month-to-month as well.

So I've pretty much ruled out Option 3 just because I know myself, and I like things done my way. Plus I don't like really having nothing in the apartment. And coming home late from work and circling forever to find parking isn't ideal.

So now it's between 1 or 2. Really, the question comes down to this: What do I value more? A bathtub or a gas stove?

I hate this housing market. Thank goodness this will be the last time I do the hunt in this town!

This was brough to you by the letters A and H and the number 50.

2 Comments:

At February 13, 2006 4:28 PM, Blogger Spotty said...

A bathtub!!! Can't you cook on electric stove!

 
At February 13, 2006 9:57 PM, Blogger babyG said...

how old are the kids? and what good is a backyard full of kids

I think that the parking is a big plus

 

Post a Comment

<< Home