Monday, March 03, 2008

Friendship




I had a conversation yesterday with a friend where I stated that the word "friend" is overused on a regular basis. It has become a generic term applied to anyone you have met or with whom you have conversed. I hear on a regular basis, "You have so many friends."

On the contrary, I have a very few friends. I have tons of acquaintances, just very few friends. I'm okay with that. In fact, I consider myself lucky to have as many true friends as I do. The generic use that has been applied is not what friendship is to me. It's much much more.

I've been working on a lot of my own issues/problems/hang-ups/(insert your own term here) in the past year. It seems to be a lot of what I talk about these days with my friends as it is always in my mind. The work is hard. It is/will be rewarding, but it's not easy. I've probably cried more in the past 8 months than I have in 13 years. I've let go of a lot and discovered a lot I didn't realize I had. I've learned a lot about myself and what I like, what I need to fix and what I need to drop all together.

Last night I had a very open/frank discussion with a friend about some of my issues with a particular part of my life. He provided invaluable feedback on how I am perceived through the eyes of someone else. He has observed things that I haven't paid attention to or haven't put enough thought into the reasoning behind them. He opened my eyes in a lot of ways to things I need to be thinking about and working on. It was hard to take. Not in the "negative feedback I can't believe you're saying this to me" sort of way, but in the "oh my God he's right, how the hell did I ever let it get to this point" kind of way. It has led to a lot of introspection which I see continuing for some time until I get it figured out.

How lucky am I to have my eyes opened to these things? How lucky am I to have the willingness, strength and the ability to work on them? How lucky am I to have friends who love me enough to be honest and to help me on this journey? I am truly blessed.

That that friend - thank you. Thank you more than you will probably know.
To my angel - thank you for speaking to me through my friends when I seem unwilling/unable to receive the messages you try and give me.

I am truly blessed....and it's a good thing to considering my work is cut out for me. :-)

This moment of thought is brought to you by the letter F and the number 10.

2 Comments:

At March 06, 2008 9:20 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

You indeed are blessed girl...I wish you well on upcoming travel and new paths.

It's so easy to get comfy and cozy in our little bubbles. You're lucky to have such wonderful truthful friends who can tell you their view from the otherside...

HUGS!!!!

 
At April 15, 2008 6:16 PM, Blogger PlaysByEar said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home