Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I Wasn't Gonna Call You Anyway

Yesterday was spent moving. Oh thrill oh joy. This is the first time I've ever hired movers and man, that is THE way to go! Those guys were finished in under 3 hours. Woohoo! I've gotten a few things unpacked, but for the most part the place is still in shambles. Still have some boxes at the old place since the moving company won't move alcohol. Umm...hello...that's the heavy stuff I need help with. Geez! :-)

Anyway, all of a sudden I look at my watch and it's 18:30. Crap! I'm late! A friend was having her bday dinner celebration that night and it started at 17:00. Oops. So I quickly changed and went down through pissing rain and gale-force winds to the meeting spot. Got there just in time as they were heading off to a restaurant for dinner. My old roomie was there and apparently she had mentioned to this guy I didn't know (and whose name I still don't know - oops!) that I liked ska music.



A little history here. My sophomore year at Marquette, I lived with Peanut. She's the one who introduced me to ska music and got me into the scene. We used to know several of the sound guys in Milwaukee so could get into a lot of shows "on the list." We also somehow (I think Peanut's cuteness brought this about) became friends with some of the bands - The Invaders, MU330, Johnny Socko, etc. We even had the Scofflaws play at Marquette one year. Anyway, it was a great time and since I've moved to San Francisco I've really been out of the scene.

Well, this random guy last night tells me that The Toasters were in town at DNA Lounge that night and did I want to go the show!!!! Holy crap! THE TOASTERS?!?!?!
So even though I was exhausted from moving and should have gone home to bed, I totally went to the show. I texted poor Peanut at some ungodly hour her time. She probably still hasn't forgiven me. We missed the first band and caught half of the second. As I was at the bar getting drinks I met the lead singer of The Toasters and we chatted a bit. He was just hanging out having a beer so I introduced myself. Woohoo! It was really great to be back in that scene. It had been so long! Walking in there last night was like having deja vu. All the little emo boys, all the checkerboard Vans, etc. Just brought a smile to my face w/ all the memories.

The show kicked ass. Unfortunately, they didn't play my favorite song, but life goes on. These guys have been around for over 20 years and even though they have a couple new horn players, sounded awesome! It was fabulous! I danced my ass off which was good since I missed my gym workout that day. Didn't get home until 1am and just fell into bed, but it was sweet exhaustion. Even made it to the gym today.

Anyway, I fell in love with The Toasters when I first heard the song - I Wasn't Gonna Call You Anyway. It makes me giggle everytime. I'm sure you can find a link somewhere to listen to it online. Lyrics are below:

I lost my gig bag in a cab,
It was in Heidelberg, West Germany
At first I got real mad,
I'd lost some things that meant so very much to me
I'd lost your number, your address, I was really quite distressed
I couldn't write, I couldn't call, I couldn't do anything at all

I read your bullshit in the press,
It didn't hurt me like you wanted to
Just like my good friend JJ says
Just cause they print it, doesn't mean it's true
You shouldn't have started up this mess,
Far more serious than you guessed
All that bullshit in your head,
Is making you see red...

I wasn't going to call you anyway
I wasn't going to drop that dime
I wasn't going to call you anyway
I wasn't going to waste my time

You've had your eyes closed to the truth
You never realized that things had changed
And now you're going through the roof
Yes your behavior is becoming strange

I wasn't going to call you anyway
I wasn't going to drop that dime
I wasn't going to call you anyway
I wasn't going to waste my time

I wasn't going to call you anyway
I wasn't going to call you anyway...

Wasn't going to call you anyway
I wasn't going to call you anyway
Wasn't going to call you anyway

5 Comments:

At February 28, 2006 7:21 PM, Blogger PlaysByEar said...

That must've been great! I was into ska big time mid to late 90's. I can't believe you mentioned MU330, they were my favorite. I can remember being sore for days after dancing at shows. Ever go to the Warped Tour?

 
At March 01, 2006 11:14 AM, Blogger Gagger said...

Sounds like I need to check out some of these bands!

 
At March 01, 2006 1:19 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I love the Warped tour...wahoooo fun!

 
At March 01, 2006 4:27 PM, Blogger BH said...

Ear - I did go to the Warped Tour. I was sore for days after that one! Yeah, Peanut and I became friends w/ MU330 and used to party with those guys. They rule! Jerry (former trombone player for Skankin Pickle) kicked ass!

Aggie - absolutely!

EZ - it was great to hear it again. In college I had my room decorated with posters of shows, tickets, stickers, etc. I feel the need to break them back out.

 
At March 05, 2006 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I love it. I got your text. Can I live vicariously through you?

How was buck? One of the trumpet players nephews works at this bagel place in Bethpage - how NY is that?

I didn't know that was your favorite song! It's the only Toasters song currently on my ipod. hehe I swear we were sisters in a different life.

Ah takes me back... Hey the Smoking Popes played this weekend btw. I didn't go - it was sold out and I guess there's some serial killer on the loose or something.

:) miss you! how's your new place?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home