Monday, January 09, 2006

Home Again, Home Again

As most folks do around the holidays, I headed back home to Kansas City, Missouri. My brother, his wife (who rocks!) and their baby girl live back there now. I flew out on Christmas Eve and returned that Friday. I was a bit confused by the logic of Midwest Airlines to only have two agents working on Christmas Eve to check people in. I arrived at the airport at 10:20am for an 11:40am flight. It was 11:25 when I finally checked my bags and got a boarding pass. Then we got to wait again at Security. Actually, I must admit I was rather impressed with security. They had all lines going. Then again, the bar had been set pretty low that morning after the Midwest Airlines fiasco so my being impressed with security doesn't really say anything.

My brother and favorite uncle picked me up at the airport. Turns out my in-laws were already in town from Wichita. It sounds so strange to me to call them my in-laws. However, since L is my sis-in-law, I guess her family constitutes in-laws as well. Her dad J is an absolute doll. I love that man! Her two younger brothers D and A also rock. Really cool guys. Her mom, P, in small doses is great. She has moments of being wonderful. Then the rest of the time she has a way of driving you crazy. It doesn't bother me as much as it does my brother, but I don't have to deal with it as frequently either. P's mom was also in town. I believe the term my mother would have used for that woman is "shit disturber." She loves interpreting facts her own way and making up stories just to get a reaction. J's mom, unfortunately, was not there. That woman is a hoot! She's 84 which you would never know by looking at her, spunky and hilarious. I wish she had been able to join us.

Anyway, I won't bore you with the details of my trip home. Suffice it to say it was just really nice. It was a great week with my family and my little niece who is too cute for words. This trip was one of the most relaxing trips I've had home. Not that I got a lot of sleep, but it was just comfortable. It was nice not to have to deal with anything work related or any of the day-to-day drama that seems to exist in my life right now. Being around folks who know you, being able to completely be yourself, being able to call people on their BS and them laughing about it because they know you are right - all that adds up to a wonderful trip. We watched movies, played Scrabble, Boggle, Cribbage and Poker and just hung out with each other.

I did get to catch up with some old friends as well. My buddy CW recently got married and had a baby. It was great to meet his wife and his beautiful daughter. Also got to meet 2 of the 3 boys his wife had from her first marriage. Really cute boys. Then I caught up with my friend SH. We've been friends since we were 8 years old. She's got married a couple years ago and now has twin girls who will be 1 in February. I hadn't had a chance to meet the girls yet so was able to spend a bit of time with them. That was really nice. Also got to see some old horsey folks Christmas night and then do lunch with them later in the week. All in all a good week to catch up with people.

Man has my niece ruined me for any other kids. Bella was walking at 9 months and started talking at 10 months. SH's girls are 10 months and not even pulling themselves up yet. I know that every kid develops differently, but my little niece set the bar way too high! Oh, and she finally figured out a shortened version of my name to say. That is the coolest thing ever! My brother called me a few days after I got back in town to say she had been yelling my name all morning. How great is that?!

This moment of nostalgia was brought to you by the letter B and the number 13.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home