Monday, December 19, 2005

The Good Old Days

I was driving to work today and happened to observe just how many vehicles out there now have screens in the back for watching movies. You see them in the back of headrests in Mercedes, one large screen in minivans and today one in the back of a pickup truck. They're everywhere, they're everywhere!

Growing up, my family took a vacation every summer. We would take 2 weeks and drive. We had some amazing trips - Yellowstone, Glacier, Washington DC, Badlands, Black Hills, Grand Tetons, etc. Before each trip my mom would take my brother and me to the library to stock up on books. We would each check out literally a tote-box full of them to read on the trip. When we were driving we'd either be checking out the scenery, talking with the fam (ok, sometimes my brother and I fighting instead) or reading our books. About half way through the trip we'd trade because we had each finished our collection of books.

I fully understand (and appreciate) that I was raised differently than a lot of folks these days. From a very early age my brother and I were reading and enjoying it. I still love to read to this day, though it's a bit of an expensive habit because I read so quickly. There's nothing quite like curling up with a good book on a rainy afternoon or on a beach in the sunshine. For me it's a great escape from whatever is going on in the world.

Seeing all the screens in the backs of cars makes me a bit sad. Not for me, but for those kids. Have we really become so dependent on technology that we have to be visually stimulated wherever we go? These aren't people on long roadtrips even, these are folks driving to the store or the gas station. Can you really not find anything to talk about with your kids in that 20 minute drive? Can your kids not actually read a book and use their imagination for those 20 minutes? Unplug people! Take the time to actually notice what is around you. Take the time to use your imagination as you read a story. My parents did it with me and I turned out ok. (Shut up MB!)

It seems to me that the more we use technology to "improve our lives," the less we actually connect with each other. Seems more and more families are falling apart and no one can understand what went wrong. Hmmm...maybe if we actually talked to each other instead of constantly turning to a screen it would help?!?!

Oh well, just my $0.02.

This rant was brought to you by the letter T and the number 28.

3 Comments:

At December 20, 2005 9:27 AM, Blogger MB said...

In a textbook case of irony, you are bloggin about not using technology on a computer???

What ever happened to writing in journals?

I'm kidding, I see your point. When I have my son, I hardly play the stereo because I don't get to see him all that often and I don't want the music to interrupt that time together

 
At December 21, 2005 9:21 AM, Blogger Buzz said...

I know what you mean... I'm right there with you.

It's annoying, the worst part is me driving up on an SUV with a movie going and me trying to watch it rather than concentrating on driving!

Adult ADD, try it with coffee!

 
At December 21, 2005 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you please move, I can't see the tv.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home