Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Auspicious Beginnings?

I was back in the Bay Area for amateur night. That's New Year's Eve to the rest of the world. I thought it was a sure sign of age when I wasn't up for doing anything crazy. All I really wanted to do was hang out with some friends, drink a few beverages and hang out in a hot tub. Pretty simple.

There were several invites I had to choose from that night. Yeah, I'm that popular. Ok, not really, but work with me here. Ended up going out to a friend's house in Martinez. She's a hasher as well as a Ren Faire person. She had offered crash space so making the drive was no big thing.

It was a nice evening. Alcohol was flowing, we watched some South Park, drank some more, sang some karaoke, drank some more, ate some food, drank some more, watched the ball drop, drank some more, sang again, etc. There were about 10 of us and it was a fun crew. Some people went to sleep not long after midnight. The rest of us kept going til around 3am. Then we crashed out on couches, floors, extra rooms, etc. There was this guy D there who I'd been chatting with quite a bit through the evening. Pretty cool cat. Turned into a drunken punken, but still pretty cool. He ended up crashing next to me on the living room floor while another guy crashed on the couch in there. I was all cozy under my blankets and more than ready for sleep.

Next thing I know D was kissing me, which I have to say was nice. It's been a while since I've had a good makeout session. Several minutes into it I was struck by the thought - I am WAY too old to be making out on a living room floor with other people sleeping near us. Reminded me of my trip to Ireland a few years ago where I realized I was WAY too old to be making out in a car with someone. Kind of put a damper on the festivities. Anyway, he was sweet. At one point he'd gotten up to do something and when he came back he immediately went into spooning mode. It was nice. At some point I finally fell asleep and was out.

By the time I woke up, D had apparently already woken up and was pretty green around the gills. He lived about a mile away so just went home to be sick there instead of at someone else's house. I felt badly for the guy, but no biggie that I didn't get to say goodbye. Sometimes it's just easier that way, you know? Man, I really should be a guy.

I wrote my friend this week with a belated thank you for the party. She wrote back that she had found a note the next morning for me from D including his phone number and did I want it? She also said it didn't bother her if I did. Well, unbeknownst to me, apparently she and D had dated several years ago. It was a mutual decision to break up and they have remained good friends ever since. So now I feel like the asshole because I had no idea. There's a code about these things! We chatted about it and she is totally cool with me calling him. So now I have to figure out if I want to.

If I do decide to call him, I figure having waited this long makes me totally money. Vince Vaughn would be proud!

So where this whole thing was going is originally I wasn't so sure that my random makeout session was such an auspicious beginning to the new year. I'm really not looking to have another year of random snogging. Then my friend J put it in a different light when she thought it was a fabulous beginning to the new year and could only be a sign of things to come. Choose to be positive I always say (yeah, right) so I'm hoping it's a great sign of things to come. We'll see how this weekend at Tex-Mex goes.

This random makeout session was brought to you by the letter D and the number 1.

3 Comments:

At January 10, 2006 2:53 PM, Blogger Buzz said...

Duuuuuuuude...

There is nothing wrong with the random makeout session on the floor with someone you hardly know on new years!

You're Too Old???

Only in spirit m'lady. Would I want one of my kids to walk in on me doing that sort of thing? No, of course not. When I finally do have kids I'll be sure to leave that out of my repitiore if they're around. But two consenting, drunk, single people getting groovy on the floor is not a bad thing at all...

Was it not you just a short time ago pining for some quality couch time?

You are a tough nut to crack BH, cat o' nine tails, corsets, and floggers vs. feeling too old to smooch on new years...

But that's what I dig about 'cha...

 
At January 11, 2006 8:58 AM, Blogger BH said...

I'm here to keep my audience happy.

For the record though, it wasn't so much the making out on the floor part...it was the making out on the floor with other people sleeping around us part.

 
At January 11, 2006 12:46 PM, Blogger Buzz said...

Mcfly...

They were sleeping!! You could have shut off the lights and played a little "guess who's in my mouth!"

Admittedly, though, I wasn't there and can only speculate and toss criticism from afar. You didn't feel cool with it and that's what matters...

Buzz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home