Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Some of the jokes are just for me

Sarcasm. What a wonderful little thing when done properly. Some say it is the lowest form of humor. I think it's fabulous. If that means my humor is on the low end, well, shit happens and life goes on. As long as I'm entertained that's really all that matters. For the record, sometimes I think I'm hilarious. Other times I'm just caustic. It happens, but I'm getting better about losing the causticness and just being funny.

Sometimes my little friend sarcasm also gets me in trouble. Sure, it gets us all in trouble over Instant Messenger or email. There's no intonation to let the other person know you are just "pulling the piss". Then there are the cases where people just don't pick up that you are kidding and actually respond seriously to some smartass comment.

I've heard folks say that men are generally better with sarcasm than women. Possibly attributed to the fact that men let lots of things roll off their backs while women take offense and mull it over long after the horse is rotting. In personal research, I find it is often men who misunderstand my sarcasm more than women. A couple examples:

Example 1:
There's a great guy who works the front desk of my gym. Let's call him DB. DB is a total sweetheart who has had some pretty amazing adventures in his life including living in South Africa for a few years. It doesn't hurt that he's great eye candy to go along w/ the great personality...and straight! (a rare luxury in this town) We've always gotten along and sometimes hang out together outside the gym. The other day we had this email string going. He had emailed saying that beer brewed in copper vats is a great cure for arthritis and I should try it for my ankle. Apparently the Belgians make quite a few beers brewed in copper. I wrote back asking if that meant he was taking me out for some medicine. He responded by saying yes, to Belgium w/ a quick stop in Amsterdam along the way. I asked when I should have my bags packed and DB said after he wins the lottery. I told him I'm not that patient and how about if I picked up the airline tab and he could work it off. He asked how - in tail? housework? chores? I told him that variety is the spice of life and he could choose. He wrote back saying he could be the official court wine taster. I told him that somehow that didn't seem like working anything off, though he certainly knows how to negotiate. I also added, "For the record, I was hoping you'd say tail. ;-)" Complete with little winky smiley face annoying thing that chicks use. Funny right? Or is it just me that thinks so considering I never got a response? Oh well. It was a fun exchange while it lasted.

Example 2:
At hash events of all places! I can't count the number of times I've made some offhand smartass comment to a male hasher about spooning together or sharing a bed and they respond with some serious answer. Ummm...haven't y'all known me long enough by now to recognize when I'm kidding? Honestly! It's the hash. Doesn't everyone joke around w/ sexual inuendo? I am completely backwards when it comes to being forward with men I'm actually interested in. Of course, this could explain why I'm single and why I'm great at getting guys as friends, just not as boyfriends. But I digress...

Is it all just perception? Do men truly believe I am being serious when I make these offhand comments? Women know I'm kidding when I make them. Of course, that could also be because they know I am straight. Oh well, if there's one thing I've learned, you can't change how people perceive you. They see what they want to see.

To quote MB, I just dunno.

2 Comments:

At August 04, 2005 8:36 AM, Blogger MB said...

Paragraph 3 Sentence 1

No truer words spoken.

 
At August 29, 2005 7:18 AM, Blogger Late Nite Drive Thru said...

totally agree - even with all the sexual innuendos you can still be misunderstood

 

Post a Comment

<< Home